Kitchen Safety. Know what to do or it will explode

Do you love chips?
Chip pan fires cause one fifth of all accidental dwelling fires attended by the Fire and Rescue Service in the UK each year. Nearly 20 people are killed or injured every day in accidental fires that start in their kitchen, the most common of these caused by deep fat frying.
If you do choose to deep fat fry your chips, make sure you do it safely. Better still, choose oven chips or use a thermostatic fryer.
* Never fill a chip pan more than a third full of oil.
* Consider using a thermostatically controlled deep fat fryer.
* Never leave your cooking unattended. Even if the phone or doorbell rings. Remember – fires start when your attention stops.
* If you’ve consumed alcohol, don’t be tempted to cook with a chip pan.
If you do have a chip pan fire:
* Call the Fire and Rescue Service on 999 immediately.
* Don’t take risks.
* Have a clear escape route.
* Never move the pan.
* Turn off the heat (if it is safe to do so).
* Never use water on chip pan fires, as this will cause a fireball.
* If there are flames, never throw water over the pan. It will explode.
The safest way to deep fry is to use a thermostat-controlled electric deep fat fryer. Its thermostat stops it from ever overheating.
What to do if there is a kitchen fire.
* In all cases, make sure everyone evacuates the house.
* Call 911 and report the fire.
* If the fire is still very small, you can use a fire extinguisher to try and put it out. But if the fire gets out of control, get out of the house and wait for the fire department to arrive.
You might be able to extinguish a grease fire on the stove in several different ways. The simplest way is to place a lid on the pan and the fire should suffocate. A large amount of baking soda can also be used to extinguish a grease fire. Once you have the fire extinguished, don’t forget to turn off the burner. But if the flames are too high, don’t risk getting burned.
Get out and call the fire department.
Never, never put water on a grease fire! Water will splatter the grease and dramatically increase the size of the fire. You will easily get burned! NEVER try to carry a flaming grease fire outside. It will quickly be too hot to carry and you will certainly spread the fire over the entire area.
A: First, don’t panic. There’s a lot you can do to contain a little fire–i.e., confined to a small area, such as a frying pan, and not smoking.
* If flames shoot up in an oven or microwave immediately turn off the heat, and pull the microwave’s plug. Keep the appliance’s door closed, too, to deprive the fire of oxygen (its fuel).
* For a stovetop grease fire, remember that oil and water don’t mix–oxygen-rich water will actually feed the flames. And a fire extinguisher is, believe it or not, a bad idea: The force of the discharge can actually spread the burning grease. Instead, smother a grease fire by either sliding a lid over the pan or dumping in a full box of baking soda.
* Although they’re not safe for burning grease, fire extinguishers are great for snuffing out burning oven mitts, dish towels or a curtain edge. You want a general purpose ABC-class extinguisher–about $20 at any hardware store. To operate it, remember the word PASS:
Pull the pin (and release the lock).
Aim low.
Squeeze the lever slowly.
Sweep the spray from side to side.
But if the room starts to fill with smoke, call the fire department, and get out fast.

How to Put Out an Electrical Fire
Many people think they are prepared for a fire, but there are different kinds of fires and not all of them can be treated the same way. Just because you have a fire extinguisher in your home, doesn’t mean you can use it to combat any fire. Electrical fires are one type of fire that must be attacked in a precise way in order to put out the flames quickly and safely.
Things You’ll Need:
* Baking Soda
* Class-C or ABC Fire Extinguisher
Step 1
Call the fire department. Even if you think the fire is small and you can contain it yourself, it’s better to be safe and have the professionals on their way. Be sure to tell them it’s an electrical fire so they can be prepared.
Step 2
Shut off the main breakers to the house, if possible. Be sure your hands are not wet and the fire is not close to the breaker box before attempting this step.
Step 3
Use a class-C or multi-purpose ABC fire extinguisher to put out the flames. You can not use any other kind of fire extinguisher on an electrical fire. The extinguisher should be clearly marked, but if it’s not and you’re not sure what kind it is, don’t use it.
Step 4
Throw a sodium bicarbonate such as baking soda on the fire to smother it. If a fire extinguisher is not available and the fire is small, dousing it with enough baking soda can put it out.
Step 5
Get out of the house and wait for help to arrive. If you have no means to fight the fire yourself or if it’s large or spreading quickly, it’s best to leave the premises before the fire prevents you from leaving.
How can baking soda be used as fire extinguisher!!!!”
when baking soda gets burnt it will release co2(carbondioxide) which will stop the fire

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *